If you want the fasted way to zoom back into childhood, try making and eating Rice Krispie treats. Does anything scream youth quite as much as cereal loaded with sweet and gooey marshmallows? Based on how quickly everyone in my house ate these up, I’m going with no. And with only a few minutes of cooking time and crispy bits of bacon and tons of bacon flavor, these are perfect bites of nostalgia with a grown up twist.
I don’t know how, but I managed to make it until now before ever making Rice Krispie treats at home. I think I was imagining the less-than-ideal, pre-packaged versions from my school lunches, when in fact what I was missing were crispy, gooey, sweet, airy bites of perfection. Now that I know how good homemade Rice Krispie treats are, I won’t go another three decades before making them again.
For these, I wanted to maximize the salty bacon flavor to contrast with the sweet marshmallows. I saved the bacon fat from cooking the bacon bits, then added that to melted butter and using it to melt the marshmallows. That means that every bite of these is bursting with salty bacon flavor. That is right up my flavor alley, but if you are more of a Rice Krispie traditionalist, you could use all butter instead. One of the beauties of Rice Krispie treats is that they’re so simple, you could add almost anything to them for an endless variety of flavors. Bring on the treats!
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal (1 package)
- 6 slices bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 10 oz bag marshmallows
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Butter an 8” by 11” baking pan and set aside.
- In a deep-sided skillet over medium-high heat, cook the chopped bacon until it’s cooked through, but not too crispy. Take the bacon out with a slotted spoon and set it on a paper-towel lined plate. Drain the bacon fat into a heat-proof measuring cup or small bowl. Measure it out; you should have between 2 and 3 tablespoons.
- Put the bacon fat back into the skillet, along with enough butter to make 6 tablespoons total. Heat until the butter is melted, swirling everything together.
- Add the big marshmallows and cook until the marshmallows are completely melted, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, stir together the Rice Krispie cereal, bacon pieces, and the melted marshmallow mixture. Stir until everything is combined, then stir in the mini marshmallows.
- Press the mixture into the prepared baking pan, pressing gently but evenly so that the treats are relatively even, but not so hard that the air is all pressed out. Let cool to room temperature before cutting and serving.