How cute are these mini-loaves? We’ve reached the point in late summer where I start desperately trying to make sure that I’ve baked with all of summer’s best produce. So get ready for a bunch of blueberry, tomato, zucchini, and stone fruit baked goodness coming your way. I had plans to make blueberry crumble bars, really I did, but then my three year old convinced me to buy a big bag of jewel-toned apricots at the farmer’s market, and I just had to find a delicious way to use them. It’s a tough life I lead. These apricot and ginger mini-loaves are sweet and moist and have just the right amount of bite from fresh ginger to wake up your taste buds. Plus they’re adorable and perfect for sharing with friends.
We just got back from a week of vacation up in northern Michigan, and I am both refreshed and in a frenzy to catch up on everything here at home. The school year is looming on the not-too-distant horizon, I’m refusing to even think about going back-to-school shopping, I have five meetings this week for volunteer stuff I signed myself up for (why Lauren, why?), and this season of Bachelor in Paradise isn’t going to watch itself. But for now I’m going to snack on a piece of this apricot and ginger bread and pretend I’m back on the lake.
I love a good quick bread recipe, and this one is a little spicy, a little sweet, and perfect for snacking. The apricots bake up tender and juicy, and the one-two punch of ground and freshly grated ginger gives these loaves something special.
I used mini-loaf pans that I got on a rare splurgy whim from Williams-Sonoma, but you could use a standard loaf pan and make one large loaf instead; just increase the baking time by 10-15 minutes. I like the mini-loaves for sharing, and wrapped up they’d make dynamite little gifts. Or keep them for yourself and see how quickly they disappear.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 stick butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 cup chopped fresh apricots
- Butter three 6” by 3” mini loaf pans and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ground ginger.
- Put the butter in a large mixing bowl and use a hand mixer on medium-high speed to beat it until light and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the sugar and brown sugar and beat another two minutes, until thoroughly combined. Add the egg and vanilla and beat another minute.
- Add half of the dry ingredients and mix on the lowest speed until just combined. Repeat with the greek yogurt and the rest of the dry ingredients, being careful not to overmix. Stir in the chopped apricots by hand using a rubber spatula.
- Divide the batter evenly between the three pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the tops of the loaves are golden brown and a tester inserted into the middle of a loaf comes out clean. Let the loaves cool in the pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.