I hope you’re all ready for a million summer berry recipes. Because back in late April, when it was still snowing here, I was this close to losing my mind. I found myself wavering between vowing to never going outside again and running out to scream at the weather gods. The only thing keeping me from being labeled as ‘that weird lady’ in our neighborhood (maybe I already have that label? I don’t want to know) was coming up with new ways to use all of the summer berries I knew were right around the corner. Thank you, strawberries, for helping me make it through to spring. First up in the berry baking extravaganza are these delectable strawberry and almond cream scones.
My love for cream scones knows no bounds. They’re rich but somehow still light and flaky, they can handle just about any flavor you want to add to them, and best of all, they’re easy. That ease was paramount for me this week, because guys, I’m tired. Besides lots of stuff going on outside of the blog and my kitchen, we also decided to take the kids on a three-day weekend trip to Chicago. And if you’ve ever traveled with small children, you know that this was not a vacation. This was a trip, complete with amazing experiences that I’m sure we’ll remember fondly, that was completely and utterly exhausting. It was great, but my legs are still tired.
Getting photos edited and recipes typed up for the blog in the day or two after we got back felt like being on a treadmill set at too high a speed. So I’m slowing it down today and making these cream scones. I know the base recipe like the back of my hand, you don’t need any fancy equipment to put them together, and with strawberries and some almond flour mixed in, they taste spring. Every bite has a burst of tart strawberry flavor along with the rich creaminess of the scone. Perfect for breakfast or tea, and perfect for getting back on an even-keeled track.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons very cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup strawberries,chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 450° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and whisk together.
- Scatter the butter pieces over the top and cut the butter in with a pastry blender until butter pieces resemble cornmeal (a few larger pieces are fine). Gently stir in the strawberries.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and add the heavy cream, stirring for 30 seconds.
- Turn dough out onto a countertop and use your hands to gently shape it into a 9 inch circle (I used a 9" cake pan to help eyeball it). With a sharp knife, cut the dough into 8 wedges.
- Place wedges onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 13 minutes. Let them cool for ten minutes, then enjoy.