Anyone else feeling the need for a healthy start to the day after last week’s indulgences? Look no further than these muffins, a riff on the classic morning glory. They’re made with whole wheat flour and packed with carrots, orange juice, dried cherries, and walnuts. Biting into one is what I imagine biting into a ray of sunshine is like, and with so much goodness inside, they’ll keep you full all morning long.
I love a morning glory muffin, with every healthy ingredient under the sun packed into it, but I wanted to simplify the original recipe from King Arthur Flour a bit to bring out some of the individual flavors. I decided to focus on a carrot-orange-cherry combination, so that the muffins would be tart and sweet and perfect for an early morning. I added cardamom because I love its citrus flavor, and used walnuts for crunch. The results were moist, sweet, and loaded with tart citrus flavors. They got devoured almost as soon as they came off the cooling racks.
To make the muffins, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, orange zest, and salt in a large bowl. Add the grated carrots, dried cherries, and walnuts.
In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and orange juice. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir with a spatula until combined. Pour the batter into a buttered muffin tin (or use liners), and bake for 25 minutes in a 375°F. Cool in the muffin tins for a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
And that’s it! Simple, healthy, and delicious.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 large orange
- 1 ½ cups peeled and grated carrots
- ½ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin, or line it with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt. Stir in the apples, carrots, dried cherries, walnuts, and orange zest.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and add the vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and orange juice. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Divide the batter between the muffin tins. They will be full almost to the top; this is fine. Bake the muffins for 25 minutes, until they’re browned and domed on top and a tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing and devouring.