Buffalo chicken dip, or my latest post in the unofficial series “things Lauren recreates at home because she doesn’t go to happy hour on Fridays anymore”. This dip might just be my new favorite. It’s spicy, creamy, great for sharing with friends, and filling enough to be an entire meal. Did my husband and I demolish this over a series of two nights after the kids went to bed? Yes, yes we did. Maybe I made this dip too easy and too delicious…
I hear that football season is starting up soon. It may have already started? I am not particularly into football, besides trying to catch the odd Michigan game to prove I’m a real alumni, but I know that this buffalo chicken dip would be perfect for a game-day party. It’s the kind of thing that, if you set out enough chips or pita bread or celery sticks or whatever floats your dip boat, will be gone before the end of the first possession.
Okay, so maybe I know how football works, generally; that doesn’t mean I’m interested in watching it unless Beyoncé or the ghost of Prince is performing. But will definitely eat all of the snacks, then talk loudly about the real housewives while you’re trying to watch the game. And maybe act like I’ve been watching the whole time when someone scores on a spectacular play. Who’s inviting me over?
The direct inspiration for this dip is something they serve on the menu at Short’s, my favorite northern Michigan brewpub. My husband and I know we probably shouldn’t order it, since we eat the whole thing every single time, but we usually do. It’s the best part of buffalo wings (the sauce) without all the mess, with blue cheese baked right in. This version is as easy as can be, so you can mix it up at home in no time and bring the happy hour magic to your house whenever you want.
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken)
- ¾ cup Frank’s Red Hot
- ¾ cup blue cheese crumbles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter a 9” pie pan.
- Put the cream cheese in a large bowl. Use a hand mixer to beat it until creamy, about a minute. Add the buffalo sauce and beat to combine. Repeat with the shredded chicken.
- Spread into the pie pan, then sprinkle the blue cheese crumbles on top. Bake for 20 minutes, until bubbly.