Out of all the recipes I’ve tested out for the blog, the one my kids ask for the most is the very first one I ever published. There’s something about banana snack cake that is simply irresistible. Maybe it’s the fact that you can eat it any time of day, or that it’s sweet but not too sweet, or maybe it’s just that they know I’ll always let them have a piece, even with all the chocolate chips inside. Whatever the magic, they ask me to make it all the time, so I decided to revisit that very first post, make a few tweaks, and take some better photos. So here we are! Banana snack cake 2.0.
Life is pretty busy here at casa Today We Bake, so I’m keeping things simple around here. That means fewer recipe testing sessions, less frequent blog posts, less time on social media. That doesn’t mean I’m going to stop baking; what else would I do for stress relief (besides yoga and embroidery)? But I’ll be doing less of it, at least in the immediate future, so if you’re a regular around here just know that I’ll be back, just less frequently. In the mean time, I’ve got an updated recipe (here’s the original if you want to see my very first cringeworthy attempts at food photography) for the kind of simple treat that’s perfect for busy days.
This banana snack cake is comforting and addictive, with ingredients you probably have on hand. You know you have overripe bananas sitting on your counter. If you don’t, please teach me how to accurately predict the wild fluctuations of how many bananas my family will eat in a given week. I can say from experience that this is a perfect recipe to make with a preschooler, what with all the banana mashing and chocolate chip mixing that needs to get done. And after 45 minutes in the oven, you’ll have enough banana snack cake to last you the whole week.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Generously butter a 9 x 13 pan..
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a stand mixer or with a handheld mixer, combine the butter and sugars. Beat on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Mix on low until just combined.
- Add half of the dry ingredients, followed by the buttermilk and the rest of the dry ingredients, mixing together gently until everything is just combined.
- Add chocolate chips and mix gently by hand.
- Spoon mixture into prepared baking pan, and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before either cutting and removing squares, or flipping the whole thing out onto a cooling rack.